Apples are high in Pectin, a water soluble fibre. Pectin is a ‘prebiotic‘ food for our gut bacteria. The gut bacteria ferment the pectin and make short chain fatty acids (food for our gut wall)- thus helping to heal the gut.
- 6 large green apples or 8 smaller apples (preferably organic)
- 1/3 cup sultans/raisins
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Optional: rind of 1/4 of a lemon or orange.
(makes 6-8 serves)
- Core apples and cut into 3 cm chunks- leave the skin on.
- Add apples, sultanas, dried fruit, water and rind (if using) to a saucepan.
- Simmer on low heat for with the lid on, stirring regularly.
- When the apples are soft but still formed (approximately 15 mins), remove from the heat.
- Refrigerate when cool. They will last in the fridge for about 4 days.
Serve approximately 1 apples worth with Greek natural yoghurt (or Vaalia yoghurt for extra probiotics). Consume daily.
Add almonds (with skin on) and blueberries for an extra gut feeding hit.