I could eat this Mediterranean Baked Beans Recipe every day. Not only is it tasty but it is 10/10 for healthy. Veggies to the max, full of prebiotic fibre for gut health, antioxidant rich, vegetarian protein and fast to make!
Time- 20 mins. Serves 4
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tblsp tomato paste
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbslp dijon mustard
- 1 tblsp rapadura sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 cans of navy beans or butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil or oregano
- 1 cup Danish feta or creamy goats cheese/feta
- 4 big handfuls of rocket
- Add olive oil to heated pan and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and stir for 30s.
- Add tomato paste, tinned tomato, mustard, sugar, chilli, salt and pepper and simmer for 5 mins.
- Drain and rinse beans and add to the tomato sauce. Simmer for 5 mins to warm beans through.
- Taste and adjust salt if required.
- Turn off heat and add chopped basil.
- Serve in individual bowls. Crumble feta on to beans and serve with a large handful of rocket on top.